Saturday, April 10, 2010

Italian Classes


April 9, 2010
Today was a really long day. The weather is starting to warm up which makes things really nice. No more rain. The blossoms are coming out and spring has officially arrived! For our morning class we WALKED through the entire city. My feet hurt so bad. Plus the night before for our class we went to an old church and WWII monument and walked around everywhere! Then we toured a Catholic University that was so beautiful! I'm so glad that I took these general classes, one because I don't have to take them in America and BS my way through it and 2 I get to learn a TON about a country and city that I knew nothing about. I may never come home I love it here
too much and I haven't learned everything that I want to. We learned a lot about the city of Milan and saw some really old buildings. A lot of the buildings here are from the renaissance and medievil times and some are from the fascist era and modern era. It's so interesting to see two buildings right next to each other from 2 different time periods. We also went to a museum for some smart guy. It was an important building at one point but now it's an art museum. It was pretty interesting to see the stages of art work.

After 4 hours of walking around everywhere we took a break for lunch and I tried to order canaloni. It didn't go over well and I had to share with another girl that had ordered it as well. Somehow they didn't understand that I wanted me own. Seriously when it comes to desert I'm not big into sharing, especially in Italy. Then we headed to class where we worked on our projects, heavens it was nice to sit down. Class goes from 2-6 pm. Usually we go eat dinner or just walk around the city after class. Not tonight. Tonight Italian language class started. Learning a language at 6 pm is not good.
I was already stressed and not in a good mood and late when I walked into the class and the weirdo teacher starts going off on me in Italian! Hi! Just got here, wait until I sit down before you ask me to introduce myself. And make sure I'm paying attention. Weirdo. But it wasn't too bad. The language is pretty sane and at least they use the same letters as English. This is not meant to be mean but all I have to say about this language is that Italian is a sissy language. It's so freaking easy compared to Russian! But so much prettier.
Finally at 8 pm we can eat dinner! We set off in search of some yummy food and an hour later came to our favorite restaurant where I ordered some yummy spaghetti and an appetizer of cheese and meat. Cheese is pretty much amazing. I could eat it for every meal every day! Eating is an event here. When you go to a restaurant they expect you to sit down, relax and enjoy your food. Such a great idea.
America should adapt this concept. Everything here is so relaxed and laid back. Retail stores open at 11 then close from 12:30 to 2:30 so everyone can eat, then stay open until 8 or 9 pm. People are so polite and nice, well except for a couple people especially this one lady at the grocery store we shop at and all the workers at McDonalds. At 12 am we finally crawled into bed with full tummies.

No comments:

Post a Comment